The Plant-Based Journey:
A Step-by-Step Guide for Transition to a Healthy Lifestyle and
Achieving Your Ideal Weight
In The Plant-Based Journey, you were invited to navigate to the Resources page for books, trusted online resources, more recipes and other support for your plant-based journey.
This is that page! As this is a living resource, content will be added on an ongoing basis – you are invited to visit this page for updates.
The basic shopping list from The Plant-Based Journey
This shopping list, based on the contents of my own refrigerator and pantry, will get you started stocking your own plant-based kitchen. It is not necessary to rush out and procure everything on this list, by any means! Let your plant food arsenal grow right along with plantifying foods you are already familiar with and the templates and recipes you start to make. from The Plant-Based Journey
Plant-Based Health and Nutrition Books
- The Plant-Based Journey
- Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition, T. Colin Campbell and Howard Jacobson, BenBella, 2013
- The China Study, T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II, BenBella Books, 2006
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr., Avery Trade, 2008
- The Blue Zones
- Becoming Vegan
- The Starch Solution, John McDougall, Rodale, 2013
- The Pleasure Trap
- Breaking the Food Seduction
- The End of Overeating
- Food Choice and Sustainability
- The Food Revolution, John Robbins, Conari Press, 2010
- Healthy Eating Healthy World, J.Morris Hicks, Benbella, 2011
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows
- Forks Over Knives, edited by Gene Stone , The Experiment, 2011
- Skinny Bitch
- Power Foods for the Brain
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes, Neal Barnard, M.D., Rodale Books, 2008
- The Low-Carb Fraud, by T. Colin Campbell with Howard Jacobson, BenBella, 2014
- The Vegiterranean Diet, Julieanna Hever, 2014
- The Empty Medicine Cabinet, Dustin Rudolph PharmD., Pursue A Healthy You, LLC, 2014
- 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart, Neal Barnard, MD, Grand Central Life and Style, 2013
- Fit Quickies: Five Minute Targeted Body-Shaping Workouts, Lani Muelrath, Penguin/Alpha 2013
- Building Bone Vitality, Amy Lanou and Michael Castleman, McGraw-Hill, 2009
- Breaking the Food Seduction, by Neal D. Barnard and Joanne Stepaniak, St. Martin’s Griffin, 2004
- Salt, Sugar, Fat, by Michael Moss, Random House, 2014
- The End of Overeating, David A. Kessler, Rodale, 2009
- The Pleasure Trap, Douglas J. Lisle and Alan Goldhamer, Book Publishing Company, 2006
Environment and Beyond
- Food Choice and Sustainability, Dr. Richard A. Oppenlander, Langdon Street Press, 2013
- Mad Cowboy, Howard Lyman, Scribner, 2001
- Diet for a New America, by John Robbins, HJ Kramer/New World Library, 2012
- Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer, Back Bay Books, 2010
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows, by Melanie Joy, Conari Press, 2011
- Farm Sanctuary, Gene Baur, Touchstone, 2008
- Veganomics, Nick Cooney
- Plant Pure Nation
- Plant-Powered Families, Dreena Burton, Benbella, 2015
- The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook, Ann Crile Esselstyn and Jane Esselstyn, Avery Trade, 2014
- The China Study Cookbook, LeAnn Campell, Benbella, 2014
- Forks Over Knives: A Year of Meals
- Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan
- Let Them Eat Vegan
- Unprocessed, Chef Aj and Glenn Merzer, CreateSpace Independent Publishing, 2011
- The Vegan Table
- How It All Vegan
- Quick-Fix Vegan
- 1000 Vegan Recipes
- Blissful Bites
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Cooking
- Happy Herbivore Abroad, Lindsay S. Nixon, Benbella, 2012
- The New Fast Food, Jill Nussinow, The Veggie Queen, 2011
- Artisan Vegan Cheese, Miyoko Schinner, Book Publishing Company, 2012
- The Homemade Vegan Pantry, Miyoko Schinner, Ten Speed Press, 2015
- Kitchen Divided, Ellen Jaffe Jones, Book Publishing Company, 2013
- Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- PCRM 21-Day Kickstart
- NutritionFacts.org (Dr. Michael Greger)
- Plant-Based Research: plantbasedresearch.org
- PubMed.gov (US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health)
- Complete Health Improvement Project: chiphealth.com
- Plant Yourself
- T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
- Joel Kahn, M.D.
- T. Colin Campbell
- Plant-Based Nutrition Support Group
- Dr. John McDougal Health and Medical Center
- Forks Over Knives
- John Robbins
- VegNews Magazine
- Farm Sanctuary
- Compassionate Cooks
- Straight Up Food
- FatFree Vegan Kitchen
- Plant-Based Dietitian
- Plant-Based Pharmacist
- Factory Farming Awareness Coalition
- Mercy for Animals
- Forks Over Knives
- Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
Getting Started on the Plant-Based Journey
Here is a tiny sampling of the robust collection of articles to get you going, right here, right now, on the plant-based journey blog.
- What does new research say about losing weight with a plant-based diet – without counting calories?
- The 5 food groups: My simple plan for a whole foods, low-fat, plant-based diet
- The truth about weight loss that lasts, your relationship with food eating and your body, dreaming big, and breaking the number one rule of marketing
- How to stop stopping yourself & become unstoppable in 2 simple steps
- From serious health risk to serious health coach – Debby’s down 30 pounds and 4 sizes
- The Plant-based Pharmacist’s Recipe for Weight Loss Success
- The 3 things you must have for health, weight loss, and fitness success (video)
- 6 steps that stop compulsive overeating
- and alot, lot more….
Stuck Along the Way?
Rest assured that success is never found at the end of an unwinding path. There are always twists and turns along the way. And remember that it is the cracks in the wall that let the light in. In Testimonials, become inspired by the experiences of others who have struggled and found success.
Here are some articles right here that may be just the thing to get you moving forward again:
- 6 reasons you might have gained when you were trying to lose weight on a plant-based diet
- How to stop stopping yourself & become unstoppable in 2 simple steps
- 1 step forward, 2 steps back: How to keep your diet & fitness progress from being hijacked by your inner slacker
- Do you have to win every battle to win the war? 3 steps to getting back on track
- High octane fuel for the plant-based journey
- Reader’s respond to Plant Yourself podcast: micro changes, staying focused, and food addiction
- 7 critical points checklist: Before you start that new diet
- My McDougall Diet Failureand a lot more….
These Key Articles are Perfect for Sharing Some Plant-Based Basics
If you’ve been on the journey for awhile, you are well aware that some questions and comments that seem to present themselves over and over again. Such as “Where do you get your protein?” and “Where do you get your calcium?” and “I could never give up my comfort foods!”, and “Where do you get your protein?” (again).
As a matter of fact, you may start to feel like you need to be a dietitian, nutritionist, doctor, and gourmet chef all at once! And being presented with these questions over and over again can seem annoying.
If so, then I suggest you shift your position to one of “happy to share”. Some people will ask questions about your food plan in combative fashion. While this can create instant discomfort on your part, realize that simply by making a different, healthier choice, some people feel uncomfortable and defensive about their own choices. It really has nothing to do with you. And these can be opportunities to share information and plant seeds. As long as you remain somewhat detached from the outcomes, and share in the true spirit of sharing, you can have completely different outcomes.
While you don’t need to be the doctor or dietitian, it is good to be armed with a few basic facts about plant-based nutrition. But beyond that, simply be prepared to share resources so that the truly curious can investigate for themselves.
Share these helpful articles to help inform others on the answers to the common questions.
Discover Simple Recipes
In addition to the recipe templates and easy food prep ideas in The Plant-Based Journey, you’ll find several of my favorite recipes right here on the blog along with:
Click any of the links in the left margin of this page here to spark the conversation about a plant-based lifestyle on your social network.
Scan the headlines of my blog for topics that juice up your journey and share a reflection. Or just grab the headline and paste it as a Tweet! Instagram a recipe photo or share a success story on Facebook.
Storytelling inspires, so find a story you’d like to tell, with any of the info here on my website.
Get Great Tips Directly into Your Inbox!
Stay connected with ongoing support, education, inspiration and insights about plant-based, active, mindful living – juice for the journey – by joining my newsletter list.
Get the FREE Special Report:
4 Simple Steps to Halt Creeping Weight Gain – and Feel Better in Your Clothes Today!
Are you finding it harder and harder to control your weight the more years you live? Or are you simply finding it impossible to budge that last nagging bit of poundage?
4 Simple Steps to Halt Creeping Weight Gain – and Feel Better in Your Clothes Today is my free special report with specific strategies you can use today.
Reach Out Direct!
Hit Your Target with Bootcamp Mind
In my coaching programs and courses, the importance of mindset and gaining some degree of mastery over habits of thinking is emphasized. They are an indispensable part of the process of shifting your mind and changing your body – transforming your life. Because these elements are so important to your success, I created Boot Camp Mind™.
With Boot Camp Mind, I’ve taken my Top 10 Motivational Tools forHealth, Weight Loss & Fitness Success and created a 10 part course of study for you. You can take the words “healthy”and “weight loss” and replace them with any or all words that connect most personally for you: weight loss, physical confidence, the vitality of being fit – because when it comes to motivation and mindset for success, they are all on the same page.
Boot Camp Mind™ is a ten-week program that you complete in the privacy of your own home. To find out more about Boot Camp Mind, click here.