Solid, simple tactics with real food and movement of your body – and your mind – to put you in the health & weight winner’s circle come January. Part 7 of 10: “Follow the 50/50 rule for vegetable and fruits”
One of the best year-round tips I can give you for keeping your weight in check holds its ground even more during the holidays. And that is, follow the 50/50 rule for vegetables and fruits.
Remember, it’s a plant-based diet. That means you eat a whole lot ‘o plants.
The 50/50 rule makes it all so easy. No need to count, weigh, measure, or otherwise addle your brain with making healthy, slimming meals.
Once I got this – well, let’s just say it took an extra 1/2 inch off of everywhere and makes keeping weight in check running like well-fed clockwork.
How the 50/50 rule works
- Imagine that at day’s end, you could pile all the food you ate during the day on a big platter.
- 1/2 of the platter should be piled with high water content vegetables and a couple of fruits. 50%
- The other half should be piled with all the rest of your whole foods: Starchy vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts, legumes. 50%
There you have it. The 50/50 rule. This also ensures that you get:
- Plenty of dietary fiber which is key in satiety and keeping you naturally thin.
- The amazing alkalanizing effect of vegetables and fruits
If you are losing weight too quickly
Rarely do I get a complaint such as this. But there are some skinny grrls and guys – see Real Men Eat Plants – out there wanting to plant-strong their diet yet need or want to put the brakes on weight loss.
In that case, you can change the 50/50 rule to the 1/3 – 2/3 rule.
- 1/3 of your platter by day’s end is piled with plants. Vegetables and fruits.
- 2/3 of your platter by day’s end is a glorious display of starchy vegetables, whole grains, legumes, beans (see Your Fat Loss Friend), seeds, and nuts
Just joining us? To catch up with the holiday food & fitness survival guide:
Part 1: “Be choosy”
Part 2: “How eating keeps you thin, aka stay well fed
Part 3: “Eat BEFORE you arrive“
Part 4: ‘What you have is what you’ll eat”
Part 5: “How to handle food pushers: Holiday food & fitness survival guide”
Part 6: Eat a high fiber, slow-burn breakfast: Holiday food & fitness survival tip # 6/10
Thanks so much for coming by. Please share this post if you like it, and if you’re on facebook, please join me now on my facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/lanimuelrath.